Monday, January 11, 2010

snow day

Is this what bob sledding is like??

Bald River Falls Frozen Over



With a deep freeze plaguing us down here in Dixie land, many of us boaters have had to take a hiatus from the river. After working four straight midnights and having not boated in about a week i was due some time at the river. As I sat at work contemplating where to go considering it hasn't rained in over a week and the temperatures haven't gotten above freezing in that time either, I remembered my roots. The Mighty Tellico River is where I practically learned to kayak it is full of fun easy drops and you can run it at relatively low water and still have a blast. So this is where I decided to go. Only one problem who's gonna brave the cold with me? Problem solved, I new I could call up my good friend Chris McKoy to go kayaking. Chris is always pumped to go kayaking no matter the place or the weather.

Chris Mckoy Stomping "The Baby "


Yes the water was low and extremely cold (it was freezing from the bottom up), but it was some of the most fun I have had on the river in a long time. My dad even came along and drove shuttle and hung out. (Thanks for snapping the pictures Dad!) You haven't experienced the river until you are boofing and spinning on ice and not rocks. All in all it was a great day. We did a couple of laps , enjoyed the snow, and then headed home. Enjoy the rest of the pictures.


This is Chris at the Second Ledge (Notice the normal line is frozen)








Heading down stream





Chris amongst the Ice




This is a sequence of me coming in for a Free-ze- Wheel at Baby Falls



















Here Chris demonstrates the trusty Gradient is a little stronger than the Titanic



Stay Warm,
MW



















































2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mind, blown

Jordan Sherman said...

Awesome photos & really beautiful run. Matt, you are truly insane in the membrane. The freewheel at Baby was SICK!!! I'm feeling cold just lookin at that.