Thursday, December 10, 2009

Season's Greetings!

Trail to Lower Greeter Falls
Nearly five years ago I started kayaking. The first idea I had of kayaking was boaters running Baby Falls on the Tellico River one summer while swimming. From that moment on I knew I was gonna be a kayaker and that I wanted to run waterfalls.
Matt Wallace scouting Lower Greeter Falls
Photo Jeff West
This fall I set a goal of running some bigger water falls. With this focus I began looking for water falls to step my game up on. The southeast isn't blsesed with large clean verticle drops to practice on so it took alot of looking and alot of water. After running Hickey Gap Falls, Frogtown Falls, and the Middle Line of LRC Falls; I felt ready to step up to a fifty footer.

Matt Wallace running Lower Greeter Falls
Photo Jeff West
With three inches of rain widspread throughout the Southeast, Myslef and Jeff West decide it was time to go dodge the rangers and give Lower Greeter Falls a try. Upon arrival we found a perfect water level, after a thorough scout we geared up and walked back down the trail. After a quick game of paper, rock, siccors, it was determined I would go first.


Matt Wallace Tucking tight on Lower Greeter Falls
Photo Jeff West
After a final scout of the lip, I was ready to go. I slowly approached the lip, loooked down, and tucked up. The hit was hard and snapped my paddle in half. I came up behind the falls a little dis oriented and hopped out. Jeff soon ferried across the pool and gave me some hand paddles, I ferried across, set up safety and camera, and waited for Jeff to fire her up.



Jeff West approaching the Lip of Lower Greeter Falls
Photo Matt Wallace
As Jeff gave Greeter a final scout I waited nervously below. As I saw him approach the lip, he had a perfect line completely verticle fell off the falls and disappeared. Jeff was gone for about 4 seconds before he resurfaced. He rolled up with a broken paddle and C-1'd it through the next rapid catching an eddy with a huge smile on his face.





Jeff West with a Perfect Line of Lower Greeter Falls
Photo Jeff West
All in all the three inches of rain and our first 50foot waterfall was the perfect early Christmas present.
Happy Holidays,
MW

















No comments: