Monday, January 23, 2012

Fallin' and Flyin'

"It’s funny how falling feels like flying for a little while"


Matt Wallace goin’ where I shouldn’t go


Lately I have been concentrating on learning to run bigger drops.  I have been focusing on the 30ft to 50 ft range, with the goal of stepping up to the 80ft arena.   The main skill in learning to run drops of this size is being able to control you angle while falling so that you land vertical in the water.  It has taken some time, but  I have now started to become very comfortable with controlling my boat mid flight.  Once again this winter we found our creeks swollen beyond their banks.  Several inches of rain  made many of the area Creeks to high for my taste.   This was a perfect time for me to return to my favorite place to work on  running big drops.   With a perfect water level and warm temperatures,  I spent the day running the drop.   After a few runs,  I was feeling very confident in my ability to control my angle.   There are not many  clean, vertical water falls in the Southeast;  if there are there is usually a pretty rowdy entrance to the drop.   This drop also has a pretty rowdy entrance. The Entrance  forces you to focus on making it to the lip, before you can ever focus on flying off it.     This winter I have now had the opportunity to take several laps of this falls and I am starting to feel very confident in my ability to run big drops.   I am very excited to see what lays over the next Horizon Line this Spring.
 





Matt Wallace approaching the lip  
 Spotting the landing
 Tucking tight
Prepare for impact

1 comment:

kayakwesty said...

You my friend are badass : )

Keep up the good work.