Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Green Race: Greatest Show on Earth

Boofing Zwicks



Charging Down Stream









The Gorilla




Go Left and Die
Saturday, November 1, 2008; Tuxedo Hydro Station will be releasing 1 unit at 100%....... With Fall in full swing, the first Saturday in November rolled around and ushered in "The Greatest Show in all of Sports", The Green Race! On this Saturday the best creekboaters in the world gather in Salida, North Carolina, to compete in the hardest and most extreme race in all of the world. And it was my pleasure to compete this year. The Green Race is a half mile race through one of the steepest stretches of whitewater in North America. The rapids on the Green River Narrows are some of the most famous rapids in all the world. With none topping the Gorilla, which is at the heart of the race course. This race is not only a test of skill it is a test of both physical and mental toughness. Knowing fully what I was undertaking, I began a strict training program in September. I paddled flat water, lifted weights, ran, biked, and Lapped the Narrows as much as possible in the two months leading up to the race. I came into the race in the best shape of my life both mentally and physically prepared for the hardest 6 minutes I have ever faced. "It's not all about winning, It's about fortune and glory. Running the Gorilla in front of 300 people when your tired... and trying to win." This pretty much sums up the race in the 13 races that have taken place less than 250 people have stepped up to the challenge and raced. Running the Green and Racing the Green are two totally different things and on November 1st, I found that out. Nearly 1000 people had hiked or paddled in to see the race. Being a first time racer, I was at the back of the pack. I felt very confident and a little relieved about being in the back. Not much pressure and hopefully the crowd had seen enough carnage and drank enough beers to have mellowed out. I had a good race for a 1st time finishing with a time of 6:39. And I was also really pumped to see all of my closest friends waiting for me as I hiked back up to watch the other racers. Thanks to all who came out and supported me, it really meant alot.






Just got back from Mexico, stay tuned for more.....









No comments: