Sunday, October 9, 2011

Linville Gorge

 Nate Rozell Babel Tower
For a long time the Linville Gorge has eluded me. Whether it was fear, the long drive, or just general laziness; I put off the pilgrimage to Linville for several years.  This year my number one winter goal was to reach Linville.  I had heard so much of the quality of the run, I almost avoided it because surly I would be disappointed. 


 Matt Wallace Boofing Babel Tower

So this fall we had returned from Wyoming (more to come on that), the air temps sstarted to cool, and I started to get that itch for creeking.   I was planning to meet up with Chris for some Ocoee action when just by chance I decided to check boating beta.  To my surprise Linviille was 5 ft and rising, I was on a 7 off from work so I knew what I had to do.  I called Chris and we immediately made plans to meet early at the NOC. A few phone calls later Nate Rozell comitted and a Monday Fall Linville run was upon us.
 S turn Rapid

4:30 am comes early, but for Linville I was up and at em.  2 hours later we were at the NOC and loaded up and headed on our way.   We had perfect fall weather upon arrival. Not too hot Not too cold. Nedless to say we were excited.  After a short hike down to Babel My blood was pumping and I was ready to go. 
 Chris McCoy Cave Falls
After 3 perfect lines at Babel we started down stream.  I was amazed at the number and quality of rapids in Linville Gorge. Many dangers, but this run is well worth the risk for a seasoned Class V paddler.   This river definitely lived up to its reputation, both in danger and quality.   

 Chris McCoy  Cathedral Falls

I will be back to Linville many more times. I plan to make this pilgrimage a few times a year.  This is THE training run for expedition boating in the South East.   And yes North Carolina finally has a river that is worth leaving a 45 minute radius of Chattanooga for.   Sometimes things are definitely worth the wait, and Linville is proof of that.
Nate Rozell exits the Cathedral Gorge

1 comment:

kayakwesty said...

Great write up you made me feel like I was there. Great pictures too!