Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Karnali

Finally the rains have returned. The pent up creek boater inside the Dam Release Summer Play boater was finally unleashed. With 10 inches of rain falling in the Chattanooga area it was time once again to go creeking. I spent this week paddling a new boat, the Large Karnali. Here is a short review:

My Specs: 6' 2", 185#'s, with size 11 shoes.

Previous Creek Boats Paddles: LL Gus, Jefe Grande, and Bliss Stick Huka

Testing Grounds: Little River Canyon, AL; Little Possum Creek, TN; and Bear Creek, GA

Karnali Specs: 8' 5" & 80 gallons

Karnali's Connect 30 outfitting: First off the out fitting is extremely simple to work with. I had the boat completely outfitted for me in less than 15 min. I really like the ability to adjust the height of the back band. I personally like my back band higher on my back and the Pyranha outfitting allows you to set it exactly where you want it on your back, with the use of attached bungee cords. The Outfitting also allows you to easily access the room in the stern of your boat.

Performance

Speed: The Karnali is fast. It only takes a couple strokes to get this thing to full speed. Once at full speed the Karnali tracks like a champ.

Maneuverability: A lot of boats with a lot of speed sometimes lack maneuverability; this is not the case for the Karnali. It turns on a dime, easily zipping in and around boulders with great speed.

Boofing: The Karnali has noticeably less rocker than many other creek boats. This may lead you to believe it is harder to boof than other boats. Let me tell you this is not the case. The Karnali boofs with ease.

Rolling: I know this is a big deal for a lot of people out there. So how easy is the Karnali to Roll? It is the EASIEST ROLLING BOAT I have ever paddled.

Overall: After several days of paddling the Karnali, I have found my new "go to" boat. It handles big drops, technical boulder gardens, and pushy water with ease. I immediately felt comfortable in the boat, there was no awkward "new boat" jitters. It fits all paddling styles, whether you like to aggressively drive your boat or like to just relax and cruise. The Karnali will inspire confidence in your paddling ability. It is the boat for everyone! Whether you are a Class V Creeker or a beginner just starting out or looking to step up your game, the Karnali will provide you the performance to achieve your best on the river.

1 comment:

BenDavis said...

King Louis the III would be proud of you.