Monday, June 30, 2008

Part 2: Stupid Falls (enough said)

This was about the most nervous I got time to charge

Lined up right in the sweet spot


Melting down



Gone




Busting Free





One of the best feelings I ever had was at this moment






Sunset over Crested Butte

Whitewater of the Southern Rockies says, "Passing the IQ doesn't always mean to portage, but only with ample flow to pad out the rock landing of the first 25'. Sans good flow and this drop could severely hurt. On second thought, this drop could Severely hurt with good flow, so do whatever you want, stupid." So I did.
Thoughts of running this drop started about a week before the trip, after talking to a my good friend Nate. Nate told me how big/ sketch that rapid was and I told him I thought I'd run it. I believe my exact words were, "Yeah it's big, but it can't be much bigger than Stairway on the Bear." (note to self: BOY WAS I WRONG) Nate responded to that comment, "I hope you do." So from that the tone was set. Run it or eat my words.
When myself, Adam, and Ryan finally found Stupid on the Upper East it was getting close to dark and getting cold. We took a quick look, and right then I knew it was gonna go. So I asked what they thought. They said they didn't really want to run it and gear back up. I said, "Cool I am gonna go."
After gearing up, I wasn't nervous at all. I just knew it was gonna go good. So I launched in, charged, and celebrated at the bottom. Enjoy the pics. Big thanks to Adam Goshorn and Ryan Moore for shooting pics and video. Until Next time... Matt

















No comments: